Friday, September 25, 2009

"I missed a few minutes of recess"

Belle and I are heading out to my parents bright and early the morning of Tuesday. Belle missed school on Monday because she was sick... as we are driving out there and not really talking because I had just woke her up, she tells me "I missed a few minutes of recess."

...Why you ask? I did too.

Belle: Because Mrs Montgomery needed to talk to me.

Me: About what? (oh my gosh.... what could this be about... breathe.... be ready for ??? anything...)

Belle: About talking while she is talking.

Me: (whew, not as bad as it could have been... but what is she SAYING?!) Well, what are you talking about?

Belle: I'm playing the word game, and we aren't supposed to be talking when Mrs Montgomery is talking.

Me: What is the word game? Who are you talking to?

Belle: It's where I say 'ball' and then Reagan says 'tall' and Joshua says 'hall' and Ben says 'doll'. Joshua and Ben had to miss the whole recess but me and Reagan only missed a few minutes.

Me: (great, now she thinks she wont get completely punished for things... oh I can play the word game and it will only cost me a few minutes from recess) Why arent you listening to Mrs Montgomery? You know the classroom rules... When she is speaking you are to be listening.

Belle: I know and I told her I wouldn't speak anymore.

Me: I hope you don't because when you are talking and goofing around, it means you aren't learning and that everyone else is having a hard time learning because you are being a distraction to them.

ps. Hector sits at Belle's table. The children she was playing the "word game" with don't even sit at her table, so I can only imagine what was going on in that classroom. I have heard Belle playing the "word game" and she eventually runs out of things to rhyme and starts making up words and these words are quite hilarious in her mind. Add 3 other 5 year olds and you have a situation.

I am looking forward to Parent Teacher Conferences. I better find my paper bag....

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. She is too much! At lest she confessed that she missed a few minutes of recess...imagine your shock at teacher conferences if she hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait until you get the note that says..."the student that sits next to Belle has been found to have head lice..." Aaaaah!
    A bunch of kids at the elementary school over here by us are having a problem with that right now...yuck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See she has made lots of friends that she can't stop talking to! I'm sure she has learned her lesson. I bet she is having a ball!

    ReplyDelete