Friday, October 23, 2009

Swine Flu

Monday morning Belle told me she had a sore throat. I thought this was completely false because she wanted to get out of school. She managed to miraculously memorize my phone number and kept telling Mrs Montgomery to call me so I could come pick her up. And then she would ramble off my phone number. Mrs Montgomery told her she was fine and that she didnt need to go home. Well. Tuesday morning around 3am, Belle came in and woke me up saying her throat hurt. She sounded awful. Some mother I am. I gave her some Tylenol and sent her to bed, where it took her until about 4:30 to finally really fall back to sleep. I decided to stay home from work and let her sleep. At breakfast, she said to me "Do you think I have the swine flu?...It's going around, you know". (Something I'm sure she heard at school.) I told her I doubted she had swine flu and that it was just a silly cold she had. She was seeming fine and playing and acting like her throat was fine. So, around 11:30 I dropped her at her dad's and went to work. After work I decided we would go to Joann's Fabric and get the fixin's for her Halloween costume, since she could be there with me and have a say in what we did. We got to Joann's and figured out what we were going to do (much more than I had planned on) and we went up and waited for our turn at the cut counter. It is finally our turn and at this point, Belle has started telling me she "feels like crap" and wants to just go home and relax. I felt so bad for her. We get up to the counter and I start handing the lady our fabric and Belle leans over the counter and says "I have the swine flu" to the lady. Her eyes get wide and she steps away from Belle and looks at me and says "Oh boy,... that doesnt sound good" and I told the lady she has a cold and they've been talking about swine flu at school so she's paranoid she has it. The lady cautiously cuts our things and off we go. As we pull away from the cut counter Belle hollers back to her "I hope I didn't give you my swine flu!". Lovely. I hope we are still allowed in Joann's.

4 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm dying (of swine flu). That's hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that I laughed out loud! That is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That girl. You never do know what to expect with her. How funny. Laughed obnoxiously out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids say the darndest things!! How funny. Hope she gets to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete